The Holy Prophet said:
1) The best of you is he who learns the Holy Quran and teaches it to others. (Bukhari)
2) Undoubtedly, the heart gets rusted like metal gets rusted when water goes over it. The people asked, “How can they [the hearts] be cleaned?” The Prophet replied, “To remember death in abundance and to recite the Holy Quran.” (Mishkat)
3) That chest which does not have any Holy Quran in it is like an abandoned house. (Tirmizi, Darmi)
4) Whoever read the Holy Quran and memorized it and believed its Halal (permitted) to be Halal and its Haram (prohibited) to be Haram, Allah will accept his intercession for 10 such people for whom hell had become Wajib (compulsory). (Tirmizi, Ibn-e-Majah)
5) Whoever is an expert in reciting the Holy Quran (his reward) is (recorded) with the Kiraman Katebeen (the recording angels). And whoever reads the Quran with pauses and it is difficult for him, that is, his tongue does not move easily and he recites with difficulty, for him there is double the reward. (Saheeh Bukhari)
6) On the day of Judgement, the one who has memorized Quran will be told to read and ascend and recite with Tarteel (clear and distinct recitation) like you used to read with Tarteel in the world; your place will be where you read your last Ayah. (Tirmidhi, Sunan Abu Dawood)
7) Says Allah, “Whoever was kept busy with the [recitation] of Quran from my Zikr and asking me, I will give him better than what I give to those who ask and the excellence of the Word of Allah over all the other words is like the excellence of Allah over all his creation.
8) Learn the Quran and read it because whoever learned the Quran and read it and did Qiyam (stood in prayer) with it is like a bag filled with Musk whose fragrance is spread everywhere and whoever learned the Quran and slept that is he did not perform Qiyamul Layl (the night prayer) is like a bag which is filled with Musk and its mouth has been closed. (Tirmizi, Ibn-e-Majah, Nisaee)
9) Read the Quran when you heart feels affection and attachment and when your heart becomes bored stand up – that is stop reciting the Quran. (Saheeh Bukhari and Muslim)
10) Decorate the Quran with your (good) voices. (Mishkat)
11) O People of the Quran, do not make the Quran a pillow, that is do not be lazy and careless, and read the Quran in the day and night – as it is its right of Recitation, and spread it, that is, read with good voices or do not take compensation for it, and whatever is in it, reflect upon it – so that you may attain success, and do not hurry in its reward because the reward for it is great (which will be given in Akhirah). (Baihiqi)
Rewards for certain Surahs and Ayahs
The Holy Prophet said:
1) Surah Fatiha is a cure from every illness. (Darmi, Baihiqi)
2) Do not make your home a graveyard – the devil runs away from the home in which Surah Baqarah is recited. (Sahih Muslim)
3) Whoever memorized the first ten ayahs of Surah Kahf will be saved the Dajjal (the great impostor). (Sahih Muslim)
4) Whoever recites Surah Kahf on the day of Jumuah (Friday), there will be a Nur (Light) created for him between two Fridays.
5) Everything has a heart and the heart of the Quran is Surah Yaseen. Whoever recited Yaseen, Allah will write the reward of reading the Quran ten times from him. (Tirmizi and Darmi)
6) Whoever reads Surah Yaseen for the pleasure of Allah, his past sins will be forgiven so read this near your deceased. (Baihiqi)
7) (Reading) Qul hu WAllahu Ahad (Surah Ikhlas) is equal to [reading] one third of the Quran. (Saheeh Bukhari)
8) Whoever reads Ayatul Kursi after every Fard Salah (obligatory prayer), will be under the protection and security of Allah. (Dailmi on the Authority of Sayeduna Ali)
9) (On the Day of Judgement) a caller will say O Recitor of Surah An’aam, come to Paradise, for loving Surah An’aam and its recitation.
10) Surah Tabarak (Surah Mulk) saves one from Hell.
11) Whatever task is not begun with Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem remains incomplete and unfinished.
Etiquettes and Rules of Recitation:
1) To memorize one Ayah of the Quran is Fard-e-Aeen (compulsory) on every duty-bound Muslim; to memorize the entire Holy Quran is Fard-e-Kifayah (compulsory for one amongst a group); to memorize Surah Fatiha and a small Surah or something similar like three small Ayahs or one long Ayah is Wajib-e-Aeen (obligatory). (Durre Mukhtar)
2) To read the Holy Quran while looking at it is better than reading without looking at it because in this case one touches the Holy Quran, sees the Holy Quran, and reads the Holy Quran and all this is worship. (Bahar-e-Shariat)
3) To read the Holy Quran in the restroom and such places of impurity is not allowed.
4) It is prohibited to read the Holy Quran loudly for everyone together in a gathering. However, it is necessary to read it loudly enough so that one can hear what he/she is reading (if there is no other distraction like noise). (Bahare-e-Shariat). If many children recite it together in the madrassah (school), for learning purposes, it is allowed.
5) It is better to read the Quran loudly if somebody praying, sleeping, or somebody ill will not be distracted. (Gunyah)
6) If somebody is reciting the Quran incorrectly then it is Wajib (obligatory) to tell him/her unless if one fears jealousy and hate. (Gunyah)
7) To memorize the Holy Quran and then to forget it is a sin.
8) It is from the etiquettes of respecting the Holy Quran that one does not put their back towards the Quran or spread their legs towards the Quran or sit in a high place when the Quran is beneath. (Bahare Shariat)
9) During recitation reflect on what you are reading. For example, when reading about punishment, one should repent; when reading about paradise, one should rejoice and pray for it.
10) Sajdah Tilwat (The prostration of recitation): If one hears or reads the Ayat of Sajdah (prostration) he should stand with the intention of performing the prostration and saying “Allahu Akbar”, fall into prostration and recite the Tasbeeh of Sajdah at least three times. Then saying “Allahu Akbar”, one should stand up. To say Allahu Akbar both times is Sunnah. Similarly, to stand before and after the Sajdah is Mustahab. (Durre Mukhtar)
Lastly, learn how to read the Quran in the company of a Qualified Sunni Alim [and mature sisters must go to a qualified sister] who can teach them how to read as this is necessary. At times, while reciting many brothers and sisters unknowingly make mistakes in recitation which change the meaning which breaks their Salah. Likewise, send your children to Madrasahs where they may learn how to recite the Quran with correct pronunciation and Qirat. If there is no Madrasah in your town, then establish one. Knowledge of Islam leads one to love Allah and helps build a good moral character within the Muslim community.
By learning the Quran, a Muslim saves his Salah, his Imaan, and his Akhirah. Learning the Quran is not limited to just learning how to recite the Holy Book, rather, it is a life- long process of learning how to recite it and understand what the Quran says. The noble Ulema have worked hard and written volumes of Tafseer (exegesis) which consists of Ahadeeth, stories, and important points. After learning the Quran, we must practice it and spread the word into our family and community.
This article is about the Islamic civilization. More specifically it is about Muslims in America …